J. Ritter, or Who the Heck Is J. Ritter Anyway, and Why Do They Have Such a Bird Fascination?

 J. Ritter was a costume jewelry designer and maker from the midcentury, mainly the 1960s.  They made mostly Southwestern or Western style jewelry, often fun bird designs.  I've run across a couple of their roadrunner brooches over the years.

Their mark is the initial J and then Ritter in a clear font:



I can't find much about this company!  They made roadrunner pins in several different designs and colors, along with groovy owls, thunderbirds, and some Native American style bolo tie slides.  One article attributes the company to John and Margaret Ritter, while another cites the designer as Jean Ritter.  It's a jewelry mystery!

I have one fab J. Ritter roadrunner in my Etsy shop at the moment.



As all Roadrunners say, "Beep beep, whiz bang."  Just as a silly aside story, when I was a kid, we had a Great Dane, and any time he heard The Roadrunner cartoon theme song, he would howl.  Who knows why, but it may explain my fondness for roadrunners in general.
Take care!
Laura and the ottercat


Comments